Self-Publishing Review partners with eBook Architects to offer a wide range of eBook conversion options. SPR visitors can get a 5% discount on services compared to ordering through eBook Architects directly.
What you Get
1. Conversion into foundational XHTML designed specifically for the eBook formats chosen.
2. Formatting paragraph indents and alignments the same way they are used in the source files.
3. Designing lists, outlines, poetry, and other non-standard paragraph types in ways that work best in eBook formats.
4. Creation and linking of an active Table of Contents in the text of the eBook.
5. Creation of a structural table of contents (NCX) used in many reading systems for navigation, such as the TOC in ePub files and the waypoint navigation system on the Kindle (using right- or left-click on the 5-way controller).
6. Your cover image properly re-sized and embedded (cover design not included).
7. Optimization of images and other internal graphical elements.
8. Tables and charts inserted as images.
9. Footnotes/endnotes formatted as eBook endnotes and linked both directions.
10. Subject index page numbers linked (indexes with other types of links are charged additional fees based on complexity).
11. Embedded fonts when needed. Sometimes, books with foreign languages include characters that are not supported in the default fonts in Adobe Digital Editions, the Sony Reader, the B&N NOOK, and other devices using the Adobe software. In these cases, we will embed an open license font into the ePub file so that your content displays properly in those readers.
These files can be uploaded directly to the Kindle, Barnes & Noble PubIt!, Apple iBooks, Kobo Self-Publishing, as well as selling independently from your own site. Note: Smashwords does yet have direct upload for ePub files: Smashword Direct is slated for release in 2012. We are currently looking into a partner for Smashwords meatgrinder conversion, if that is what you require.
1. Fully compliant ePub file that passes ePubCheck, ePubPreflight, manifest checks, and other validation checks, and is optimized for display in the most popular eBook devices and apps.
2. Valid Kindle/Mobipocket book that displays properly on all Kindle devices and apps.
3. Any necessary minor edits or adjustments to the final files (extensive editorial changes may require an additional charge).
What it Costs
Standard novels and novellas are all charged in a flat-fee system based on the size of the book, as long as the book does not have any formatting complexities.
Less than 17,500 words – $125
Less than 400 pages – $200
400 to 800 pages – $250
more than 800 pages – quote required
In an effort to make our rates simple, we will include up to 10 images in your eBook conversion at no additional cost. Titles with 11-30 images will be charged an additional $30 fee.
Level 1: Basic narrative titles without footnotes, lists, sidebars, pull quotes, tables or other complexities. Includes images. $1.00-$1.50 per page. Common examples include biographies, memoirs, and histories. Poetry books and other fiction that is not straight narrative is also usually charged in this tier.
Level 2: Standard trade non-fiction titles with a mix of footnotes, lists, unique paragraph formatting, images, tables, sidebars, pull quotes, and other complexities spread throughout. $2.00 per page. Common examples include any standard non-fiction title, business books, theology, self-help, etc.
Level 3: Complex titles with formatting on every page, two-column formatting, extensive foreign languages or symbols, and other complexities. $2.25-$2.50 per page. Common examples include cookbooks, chess and poker manuals, scientific, technical, medical, and educational titles, exercise manuals, textbooks, mathematics books, dictionaries, Bible commentaries, etc.
Please Note: The minimum charge for standard non-fiction title (Level 2) is $250 regardless of the number of pages, and the minimum charge for complex non-fiction (Level 3) is $300 regardless of the number of pages.
About eBook Architects:
We are not the typical eBook conversion company you might find in India or elsewhere. We are known throughout the publishing industry as one of the most proficient eBook design companies available. We specialize in complex eBook projects, and we regularly consult with companies that have had issues with files converted at the big conversion houses. Joshua literally wrote the book on the Kindle format, and he regularly speaks at conferences and on webinars, teaching authors and publishers about Kindle, ePub, and other eBook formats and topics. All of our eBooks exceed the highest standards in the industry for quality and validity. Our ePub files are tested with ePubCheck, ePubPreflight, and other validation tools to ensure that they are accepted by every retailer. Our Kindle files are not just converted ePub files; we build them from the ground up, with emphasis on the unique design requirements and limitations of the Mobipocket/Kindle format. Our eBooks are not just flat text versions of your book. We ensure that your eBooks are easy to read and fully functional on all the major eBook platforms.
Contact the Site
Please contact us with information about your project – # of images, complexity, and and other issues involving the above criteria. Attach your documents here. Payment will be set once we determine the scope of your project. Depending on the nature of the project, the process normally takes 4-6 weeks.